There are many options for developing with Java on the BeagleBoard/BeagleBoard-xM and BeagleBone/BeagleBone-Black.
According to Oracle, the Java trademark owner, "Java is the foundation for virtually every type of networked application and is the global standard for developing and delivering mobile applications, games, Web-based content, and enterprise software. With more than 9 million developers worldwide, Java enables you to efficiently develop and deploy exciting applications and services. With comprehensive tooling, a mature ecosystem, and robust performance, Java delivers applications portability across even the most disparate computing environments." *
- Visit the JDK download page.
- For Angstrom, download the "Linux ARM v6/v7 VFP Soft Float ABI" version.
- For Debian, download the "Linux ARM v6/v7 Hard Float ABI" version.
- Copy jdk-7u40-linux-arm-vfp-*.gz to your BeagleBone Black
- Perform 'tar xzf jdk-7u40-linux-arm-vfp-*.gz' to extract the JDK
- Perform 'export PATH=$PATH:/home/root/jdk1.7.0_40/bin' to add the JDK to your path
- Perform 'export JAVA_HOME=/home/root/jdk1.7.0_40' to set the JAVA_HOME on your installation
- Perform 'java -version' to verify your installation
For Debian, you can also try out version 8.