OSkit port To Beagle Board.
My project proposal is to port the OS kit software to the Beagle Board. The OS Kit is a series of component libraries that makes creating new operating systems and research on those systems much easier.
|Porting the OS kit will take quite some time. I am currently estimating at least 6 months for the project. This will be a very difficult and rewarding project for me. I will be learning so many new things . I have always loved the study of operating systems and the languages that go with them. The OS Kit would allow me to continue those studies in a very different system. I can test this set of tools out with a software OMAP emulator (QEMU) to get started.
The basic outline for the port will be:
1. Build my cross compiling environment so that I can start working on the OS kit libraries. This should take about 2 weeks to get all set up. This would be faster had I a Beagle Board to work with.
1. Adapt the multiboot functionality to the OMAP/XLoader. I will borrow heavily upon the knowledge stored in the Linux port to ARM.
2. Kernel Support Library -- This component will take the longest since it is the most platform dependent. I am also sure that this will grow as the other components are worked on.
3. Memory Management Library -- This will be another tough component as I will be using the memory management functions available in the ARM processor.
4. Minimal C Library -- This should be an easier module to port and should be quite straight forward.
5. Debugging Support -- This will be another interesting module in that I have never dealt with the deep implementation details of a debugger.
6. Device Driver Support -- Should be able to borrow information from the Linux port to this platform.
7. Protocol Stacks -- I could finally be implementing something that might give me networking.
8. File Systems -- This will give a way to experiment a bit with different ideas that I have.
When all is said and done I am hoping that more people can use what I have ported to support their next project on the Beagle Board.
Projected created on: Fri Oct 02 2009 05:58:16 GMT-0000 (UTC)
Submitted by: provocamper.myopenid.com
Last updated on: Fri Oct 02 2009 05:58:16 GMT-0000 (UTC)