- Server capability
- all services (except VNC) to be launched through inetd so that they are started on an on-demand basis.
- http server for configuration pages
- ssh server (the ssh suite in particular including scp etc.. so that an ftp server can be avoided) for remote login and management.
- bootp server for bootstaping machines on my home network.
- VNC for GUI sessions :)
- CUPS for network printing
- NetHack server :D
The BeagleBoard will act as a host interfacefor a Nexys2 Xilinx FPGA board and will be used to evaluate the IPs deployed on it. This feature is sort of a tester for the FPGA.
- The term "tool control" here refers to automation of connected tools and Phase 1 of the project will demonstrate this by automation in home (eg. computer, printer, scanner on/off --> the contoller board with the relays is complete :) , these devices may be contolled over the internet or PSTN network ) The system will also be hooked to the home electrical network that will enable control over home appliances. A special mode called " Home Alone" will switch on/off lights randomly when no one is at home to give the illusion that the house is occupied ( and hence protect from thefts ). The current relay boards developed use a UART (for RS232 protocol) for control of the equipment but it is planned to use the CAN interface so that longer distances can be covered.
Phase 2 ( only after Phase 1 is completely functional :) )
- mgetty (for faxes) and asterisk may be added to the server.
- CAN interface for the controller nodes replacing the RS232 connections